To find out your risk for developing osteoporosis, answer the yes or no questions below.
- Do you have a small, thin frame and/or are you Caucasian or Asian?
- Have you or a member of your immediate family broken a bone as an adult?
- Are you a postmenopausal woman?
- Have you had an early or surgically induced menopause?
- Have you been taking high thyroid medication or high or prolonged doses of cortisone-like drugs for asthma, arthritis or other diseases?
- Is your diet low in dairy products and other sources of calcium?
- Are you physically inactive?
- Do you smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol in excess?
The more times you answer "yes", the greater your risk for developing osteoporosis. See your physician to talk about prevention or treatment information.